Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shopping hiatus, week six

So, if you happen to be smack dab in the middle of a shopping hiatus, and you run out of toothpaste, please just go to the drugstore. Or maybe even order it online.

Do not go to Target, especially when you have spent the last few months studiously avoiding every ad and blog post where someone mentions the Liberty of London collaboration. Because they hide the toothpaste in the back of the store and put the Liberty pieces on every endcap of every aisle.

Web
{liberty of london at target}

You start thinking that you might actually want kids, if only to put them in smocked floral dresses. And about how a ceramic canister (surprisingly good quality in person, btw) would really be very useful. And a summerweight scarf would be perfect, even if you are not really a person who ever remembers to wear a scarf unless you are freezing. And, in a truly sad show of desperation, you attempt to convince your boyfriend that he would really love wearing a floral tie. But you'll settle for him wearing the tie with cars on it. (I received an unequivocal no on both counts)

I did not purchase anything (except toothpaste). But I did go home and lovingly caress my actual Liberty fabrics, which are still waiting to be made into something special. I think loving Liberty prints is an individual thing - you are either obsessed or pretty indifferent. Clearly, you know which camp I fall into. It doesn't matter how overplayed they get, I'll always love them.

20 comments:

  1. i was an absolute liberty newbie when the target collection came out, despite having wandered all over their place in london (o, that staircase!) a few years ago. i might end up in your camp yet - those mauves are so very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am on a shopping hiatus/halt/intervention. i gave it up for lent, and poor me wandered into a Target last week and nearly cried the whole way through because of all the Liberty-ness oozing from the walls. And the girls items are my favorite. I have a little mini and thankfully she was in need of spring clothing...Liberty infused spring clothing...
    As for me...i will have to hope with fingers crossed that there will be anything left after this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this hurts my heart because i too had to walk away. but if they had the bike in stock...it might have been a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've been seeing these prints on their commercials & was so excited... and scared to walk into target because of them...my money would leave my purse!

    can't wait to see what you make with your liberty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so impressed with your shopping hiatus...i've got to embark on one after I get married. (There are too many stupid expenses right now. Ugh.)
    I wear scarves pretty much everyday, so I might need that scarf above, like, today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ties are so cute


    D e g a i n e

    http://www.fashiondegaine.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally feel your pain! I almost went on a major Liberty shopping spree at Target. But, I restrained myself and only got a couple of the storage boxes for our newly redone laundry room. I touched everything though. Especially that canister...it was in my cart for a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i absolutely love the print but was so disappointed by the selection at target (for adults, at least). the one thing i wanted (the tiered cake stand) sold out immediately. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh I love the canister. So tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. such willpower to resist the beautiful things! i'm glad you held out-- maybe you'll even happen upon something once your hiatus is finished. good things come to those who wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i went to target this weekend and was so excited to it everywhere too. thinking about re-organizing my entire apartment just so i can buy the printed canvas storage bins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loveloveloveee! I wish I worked enough to have money to go shopping all the time. Target is the best. Way to resist :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you don't need kids to put smocked liberty dresses on! heck, i bought one for myself the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This stuff is not moving at my local Target. I am hoping that management, while noticing this fact, will reduce some of the items.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this line! I have bought an adorable watering can, I was tempted to buy the scarf, but decided to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my, you spoke straight to my heart with this post. every time i go to Target with my daughter, she actually puts "blinders" on me with her hands and chants "keep going, keep going", since of course the clothing is always right at the front. they do this on purpose, it's a disgustingly brilliant plan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. kudos on the hiatus! target is such a weakness for me too. so many goodies all in one spot. what's a gal to do?

    ReplyDelete
  18. i can't believe you withstood the liberty/target collection...i am seriously impressed with your willpower!! sigh....i keep hoping some of your resolve will rub off on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought 2 hats, because I couldn't decide which one I liked better. My wonderful boyfriend said I should keep them both.

    ReplyDelete
  20. my hubs loves the car tie. and a three year old tried to steal it on easter sunday. it was wonderful. :)
    -bee

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!